Re: [Amps] Rigol DMM

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Rigol DMM
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 05:44:36 -0600
Jim,
I've got a Rigol DSA815-TG and have never noticed any noise from its power
supply. Is that the model you're using?  If you've got the same unit,
perhaps there a ground or shield connection that isn't making contact.

On the general subject of bench DMMs, I've been reviewing specs on the major
brands the past couple of days. The hands-down winner seems to be the new
Agilent 6-1/2 digit 34460A ($945) and its upscale version, the 34461A
($1085). This meter was released a few months ago and is an intended
replacement for the Agilent 34401A, the world's best selling bench DMM (but
a 20 year old design). The new meter has a gorgeous color display that puts
all the competition to shame. It's only real problem is that it takes a long
time to boot up.  It's pricey, of course, (about the cost of an 8877) but in
the same ballpark as other top-ranked USA meters. Here's a lengthy review by
Dave, the crazy Australian bloke who's become the guru for on-line video
instrument reviews. (He also reviews the Rigol SA).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SObqPuUozNo  He has another video where he
tears down the Agilent meter to check out its workmanship and construction.
73,
Jim W8ZR