Re: [Amps] High Voltage Wire

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] High Voltage Wire
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 17:41:45 -0500
If Spark Plug wire is what you're going with, ask for Tractor spark
plug wire, solid copper & 7mm, I bought mine some at Auto Zone. 8MM
is available from NAPA.

Off topic but related to resistive plug wire & radio: Old Yamaha
bikes have issues with the ignition when using solid copper so they
put a 5K Ohm resistor in the plug cap when using a conventional spark
plug & the original solid core wire. The newer Iridium plugs have a
5K resistor internal so with the old bikes you remove the resistor in
the cap & replace it with brazing rod (Or buy resistorless new plug
caps). You do not want resistive wire & any other resistor in line or
you will also have ignition problems.

I have Iridium plugs with 8mm copper center plug wire & resistorless
caps and when I have any of my bikes running, there is zero
interference I can hear, on the car AM radio from 3 feet away.

73,
Gary
KA1J

---