Re: [Amps] GS-35b fully-submersed oil cooling

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] GS-35b fully-submersed oil cooling
From: Steve Wright <stevewrightnz@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 07:58:40 +1300
On 18/03/15 05:00, Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com> amps-request@contesting.com wrote:

Many thanks for your engagement.

mechanical, non-RF side [...] another time.
Thank you. We'll get to that after we establish it is a viable proposition RF-wise.

Basically, I think oil cooling of some sort would work.

Thank you, so do I, but quote sources or include logic please. I have my own opinions also which I seek to convert to facts - as much as they will stand up to scrutiny.

  Low anode temp
would not be an issue for this tube,
Quote sources..

What is "dry" transformer oil?

Transformer Oil with traces of water removed with a desiccant refrigerant filter/drier - a mechanical issue. For the purposes of RF analysis we may call it "dry", ie no moisture in it, and that the oil intrinsically is the dielectric, not some moisture-in-oil mixture that would be a risky proposition in your auto engine, let alone in a 4KV RF closed container.

What is the dielectric constant of that oil?

I do not know. I will ask the supplier and report back. A quick google suggests ball-park relative permittivity of 2.0 to 2.5

This is a good question. A rhetorical question might be, What might the effect be of raising the atmosphere around the tube relative permittivity, from 1.0 to near 3.0 εr, and how might tube parameters be effected?

There is likely a good reason this has not been attempted.

What do you mean by "close-housing..."?

I mean, to build some welded aluminium box/socket arrangement with O ring seals and a lid (maybe polycarbonate) on it etc, and that the walls of the box are quite close to the tube at many points - maybe only as much 1cm apart. A mechanical issue for sure, but the boxes' effect on the tube may be marked, or even dramatic, or even fatal - electrically and RF-wise, so the box is relevant, electrically.

Many thanks again for the engagement.

Steve
ZL1BHD