Re: [Amps] Arctic Silver

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Arctic Silver
From: Kevin Stover <kevin.stover@mediacombb.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 09:21:10 -0500
Correct on all points.

If after securing the transistor to the heat sink or heat sink to a processor
you see heatsink compoung oozing out the sides you've used waaay to much.

The layer of heatsink compound needs to be an even layer almost thin enough to
see through, with NO air bubbles.

I reseat my heatsinks every year. I'm still using the tube of Atric Silver I
bought 10 years ago.

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 23:43:29 -0400
"Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com> wrote:

> Just a couple of thoughts:
>
> Arctic Silver is a compound that cures with a few hours of use. After a
> few heat cycles, the heat sink should be "stuck" to the transistor.  If
> you break it loose checking, the old compound needs to be cleaned off
> and a new batch applied.  Do not use excess (more than needed).
>
> Silicone heat compound (grease) is rarely used now days as the new
> compounds of which I believe Arctic Silver is the best, are far superior
> to the old compounds and greases.
>
> 73
>
> Roger (K8RI)
>
> ---