Re: [Amps] HV transformer and Variac

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV transformer and Variac
From: donroden@hiwaay.net
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 15:23:28 -0500
Quoting John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>:

Interesting discussion about 'Variacs', one brand known as Powerstats.
I wondered about the shorted turn where the wiper contacted, the carbon theory makes most sense.

On a TV transmitter, we used a linear 480vac three phase variac that wasn't circular, but rather linear....... Three tall wound cores that were potted in a hard epoxy and it used square wire that was embedded in the epoxy. From the factory, the working side of the core was machined down to just below the surface of the square wire... making a very smooth surface.
Small bicycle chain top to bottom moved the brushes up and down.

The carbon brushes on each core were three across and each connected through high current diodes that were paralleled front-to-back / back to front before they were connected together. There must have been a volt or so difference in the potential where the three brushes touched the core. The diodes probably prevented carbon to carbon conduction and equalized the voltage between the brushes.

When the chain jumped the sprockets ( not IF ) sparks could fly if it fell onto the core.

We always think of carbon brushes as lossy, but these brushes were a composite of graphite and bronze, so maybe not a lot of heating loss.

Don R