[Amps] Transmit signal monitoring AM & SSB

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Transmit signal monitoring AM & SSB
From: J & B Cucuzza <jcucuzza@industryinet.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 16:48:45 -0500
Hi all
I plan on trying some AM. I remember the old dedicated station monitors of the past. I've seen some RF samplers & AF demodulators. These seem to be in the $200 + range, along with the used older dedicated CRT type station monitors. I'm curious as to what folks are using to monitor modulation. I would like to see the trapezoid waveform & modulated RF waveforms. I'm leaning on home-brewing a set vs buying something that costs over $200. Here is a YouTube, there are a few revisions the author has made, so it is a bit more complex than the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Zt_LJX1Tc
This second link shows a commercial version:
http://www.nu9n.com/scope_your_audio.html
I plan on using a 30 MHz dual trace o-scope, it is a Hitachi V-355.
Transceiver is a Kenwood TS-580S.
Amplifier is a Henry 2KD Classic amplifier. (Desktop version, two 3-500Z tubes, capacitor filter, no choke.)
Thanks in advance
73
Joe
KA8WEP