Re: [Amps] Transmit signal monitoring AM & SSB

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Transmit signal monitoring AM & SSB
From: Lee <L@w0vt.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 19:28:09 -0500
I am an AMer, and here is my advice! Don't buy any monitor until you know you are wanting to stay in this part of the hobby. Zillions of hams have operated in the past and present without using a monitor and have not splattered or over modulated. If you are going to use a commercially available ham AM rig follow the procedure and settings in the manual. Also, have local friends WHO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING and talking about help you in your settings based on their listening to your signal. If you are going to use a linear, keep your driving signal to at least 1/4 or less of your peak signal. Yes a station monitor is nice and can be helpful, but use of the manual, friends and maybe even an oscilloscope is all you need to get into AM with a nice signal. Don't let the lack of a monitor keep you from entering into AM. Later if you decide AM is for you, you can always get a monitor. Just remember an idiot LID owning a monitor is still most likely going to put out a lousy signal. Bottom line, get into this facet of the hobby one step at a time.
Lee, w0vt
Modulating since 1953