Re: [Amps] IMD and spurious measurements

To: manfred@ludens.cl
Subject: Re: [Amps] IMD and spurious measurements
From: "sm0aom@telia.com" <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 20:00:08 +0200 (CEST)
In my opinion, the spurs are not generated in the amplifier, and not from
any external signals that are picked up from the antenna, and they are not
reradiated.

Instead, the mechanism is the same that generated "modulation hum" in the
heyday of the
regenerative receiver. Strong RF near fields are generated around the
transmitting antenna that are picked up by
house wiring and test leads in the environment.

Non-linearites in all forms of power supplies create IM and modulation products
that even may have their switching frequencies superimposed.

This problem is commonly observed in multi-transmitter duplex installations on
small platforms.
If small active antennas are used, which are very sensitive for near fields and
common-mode currents,  it may severely limit the performance of the system.

It is however not the fault of the transmitters, the 400 W and 1 kW MOSFET
amplifiers used on naval ships are mostly specified for "back-end
intermodulation rejection" exceeding -60 dB down from the carrier when external
signals of - 30 dB are fed into their outputs. The broadcast signals that you
are receiving are far weaker than these levels.

As you correctly say, class C operation makes "back-end intermodulation" worse.
I was once able to witness this when triplexing three 5 kW class C marine
transmitters into one common log-periodic antenna. The isolation between the
transmitters was about 35 dB, and the strongest in-band mixing product measured
as -55 dB. Substituting 400W solid-state class AB amplifiers for a comparison
netted a suppression of around - 70 dB which was on the limits of measurement.

If you repeat this measurement, using a well-shielded directional coupler as a
signal pick-off between the amplifier and antenna, you will notice a marked
improvement.

73/
Karl-Arne
SM0AOM