Re: [Amps] SPE 1.3K-FA and FTDX-5KMP / IMD at rated PEP

To: "'Joe Subich, W4TV'" <lists@subich.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SPE 1.3K-FA and FTDX-5KMP / IMD at rated PEP
From: "Leigh Turner" <invertech@frontierisp.net.au>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 14:39:53 +1030
Yes indeed Joe. The VRF-2933 FETS are good / arguably best of breed in
today's generation and offerings of modern RF Power semiconductors.

The key to success here is de-rating the combined module's PEP to steer well
clear of their 1 dB power compression and subsequent saturation points. Then
you will attain those desirously clean IMD numbers with good TLT output
xfmrs, diplexer style terminated harmonic output filter, etc, and FET bias
optimisation.

This has been shown to be so in practice.

The only other way around this intractable dilemma is the use of linearity
correction pre-distortion techniques in either analog or digital form, the
latter being implemented with an SDR Tx exciter running the requisite
correction algorithm.

Leigh
VK5KLT