Re: [Amps] Tube Amps and AM

To: Steve Wright <stevewrightnz@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tube Amps and AM
From: deswynar@xplornet.ca
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 15:26:06 -0500

Hi Guys,

I was advised many moons ago that a tube-type (NOT class "C"!) linear
amplifier could be run as an AM linear, provided you LIMITED THE STEADY
OUTPUT DC CARRIER FROM IT AT 50% OF THE TUBE(S)' PLATE DISSIPATION
RATING.

Case in point: I ran my two paralleled 813's at 125 watts of carrier
output back some 20+ years ago---with two 813s, I had a combined plate
dissipation of 250 watts. About 10 - 12 watts of modulated AM carrier
was about right to drive it.

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ