[Amps] Ameritron ALS 500M

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Ameritron ALS 500M
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 16:43:15 -0800
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 11:09:33 -0500
From: "Mike Feher" <n4fs@eozinc.com>
To: "'Al Kozakiewicz'" <akozak@hourglass.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron ALS 500M

Al -

Interesting comment. It will be easy enough to measure the two tone IMD as a
function of voltage. I assume the higher order ones will not matter as they
should be pretty far down, but, possibly the first and 2nd order may be
worth a look. It is interesting that almost all HF radios in the 100 to 200
watt class are solid state running off of 12 volts. I know in those the 12
volts is not regulated or preset to any specific value. In fact, I also have
a Kenwood TR-450SAT with matching PS-30 power supply. That is about the
worst supply I have ever seen as far as regulation goes. I would think your
comment would apply to all those rigs as well. 73 - Mike

Mike B. Feher, N4FS

##  don’t count on it.   it’s the higher order IMD that causes all the splatter
problems, like the IMD 7-19.     The ALS-500 is a mobile amp.  The premise
is, in a mobile setup,  signals are not going to be loud anyway, with typ mobile
vert antennas........ vs a yagi on  a tower.

##  There is no 200 watt xcvrs that run on 12 vdc.   They are all 30 vdc or 50
vdc.

Jim   VE7RF