Re: [Amps] Dual 3-1000Z amp problem

To: TexasRF@aol.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Dual 3-1000Z amp problem
From: Clark Turner <Clark@ClarkTurnerTuning.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 20:30:32 -0700
I think we figured out the issue. I had used 6K ohm for the plate load resistor and back fed the Network with a 259B in order to make a tuning chart. I should have used about 3K I guess. I set the C load around 1000 PF, then fed 10 watts am into the amp and found the peak on the roller. Then went from there. The old 4-1000s at 10KV plate voltage used wildly different settings for the roller. I found 20 to 25 uH worked for 80 meters. I had it set at 40uH before.

The amp now does 3000 out with 100 watts of drive on 80 meters with plate voltage about 4500 volts. It makes legal limit on the air with 40 watts drive and is very clean on the output.

Tonight, I installed and tuned the tuned input. I got 10 to 80 less than 1.3 to 1 now and its band switched on front panel.

It works. Not perfectly, but it works. Probably not to many Dual 3-1000Z amps out there anymore so I am proud of it.