[Amps] SG-500 and N8XJK Super Booster

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] SG-500 and N8XJK Super Booster
From: Kimo Chun <kimochun@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 09:21:34 -1000
​Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2016 08:32:58 -0700
From: Larry Dighera <LDighera@att.net>
To: SGC-SmartPowerCube@yahoogroups.com
Cc: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>

Has anyone experience using the N8XJK Super Booster
< http://stores.tgelectronics.org/the-n8xjk-super-booster/> with an SG-500
linear amplifier?  The battery booster is rated at 40 amps and 16 volts
maximum.

The SG-500 is rated for an input voltage of 14 VDC and an input range of 10
18VDC: <http://www.sgcworld.com/ampProductPage.html>.  Has anyone attempted
run the SG-500 at 18VDC?  Can the booster do that without issues?

Is the booster able to deal with the rapidly fluctuating 40 amp load the
SG-500
creates during SSB output?

****

Larry,

I assume, by your answer to Tim, that he answered your questions. Besides
the good advice of using oversized wire you should just bite the bullet and
option for the 80A or 120A version of the booster. Your biggest problems
and most frequent failures will be in your power supply system. Perceived
problems with the mobile amp's operation will often be traced back to a
power supply issue. Don't short cut there and follow the manufacturer's
advice.

I am likely the largest user of Tim's product. I specified using 100 units
in our mobile fleet to solve a sagging voltage problem (poor design by the
vehicle manufacturer - good enough for vehicle needs but not 3rd
party radios with a different tolerance). It did its job well. We have had
3 failures in the past year but that is within reason. These are on 24/7 in
commercial service though loads are not (perhaps 8 to 12 hours per day).
Tim has provided good warranty service. We're not using the RF sensing
circuit but are running the unit enabled all the time. I see in the specs
that there is a typical 2ms delay on turn-on for RF sensing. Of course,
you'd use your exciter output to give the reference signal. I left them at
the factory-set 14v output and typically draw 15A to 17A on TX.

Good luck with your project.

Kimo Chun KH7U