Re: [Amps] 3 phase HV transformers on single phase

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3 phase HV transformers on single phase
From: Steve Wright <stevewrightnz@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2016 07:22:32 +1300

On 29/10/16 10:50, "Doug Ronald" <doug@dougronald.com> wrote:
[....] I use Collins 208U-10 plate/screen transformers
which look very similar to your images, to boost my single phase 240 VAC 60
Hz up to 5200 VAC for transmission from my solar plant to my ranch house,
and another run to my shack. The ranch house is about 1/3 mile from the
solar plant, and the shack about 800 feet from the solar plant. These
Collins transformers are really high quality with ratings from 49 Hz through
440 Hz. I see only a 40 Watt loss in each transformer due to I^2R and
magnetic effects. One thing to be sure of is to short-out all the windings
on the unused leg to prevent the magnetic flux from taking that easy path
around the loop. I wouldn't depend on the shorted turn alone to redirect the
flux.

How BIG is your solar plant??

80 watts loss 24/7 would need AT LEAST A KILOWATT of solar just to keep the battery bank up!!!

Steve