Re: [Amps] Chimney for GS35B

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Chimney for GS35B
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 04:10:23 -0400
Gerald already mentioned using Teflon sheet. I'd use high temp epoxy or glue instead of screws. I don't like electrical conductors sticking through insulating material.

Whether you use Teflon or Silicone rubber, be sure to overlap the ends by a good half inch to an inch. Beyond an inch is just wasting material

I like Alpha's use of Silicone rubber sheet. I find it easier to work with and it'll handle the high temps. I use the red, high temp Silicone RTV to fasten them to form the chimneys. I picked mine up from the manufacturer, but that's no longer an option. The only drawback is you need to keep them clamped for 12 hours or so, while the epoxy can be purchased in quick setting versions that will handle the heat. I have used paper clips to hold the ends together. Spring loaded clamps used in wood working also work. They can also be sewn with a hefty needle. Just make sure to allow for pulling the thread out. You may not find the quick set, high temp Silastic RTV, or epoxy at the local hardware store. If you keep the tubes in an air tight container they will last far beyond the expiration date on the tube with an EXCEPTION. The non acetic type will separate out and although the stuff will last well beyond the expiration date, it's nothing like the regular stuff. I have tubes of the stuff that smells like acetic acid that have been opened that are still good close to 20 years past their expiration date. The same approach works with liquid electrical tape which under normal conditions does not last long once the can has been opened. A pint or half pint, seal-able jar works well for the liquid tape. I use a relatively small Tupperware box for the Silastic RTV tubes.
I don't know if this approach would would work with the non Silicone RTVs.

Alternative for forming chimneys. Get a wood, or plastic form. Pipe, wood, what ever of the proper size to wrap the Teflon, or Silicone rubber sheet around. Use hose clamps, large tywraps, or plain old electrical tape to hold the Teflon, or Silicone rubber until the glue or RTV sets. If you use tape, leave at least an inch between successive wraps. The RTV will cure much faster.

Dow Corning is no longer Dow Corning. They are now just a part of Dow Chemical. Corning is no longer part owner. The Dow Corning logo is gone from in front of the plant. I don't know for sure, but I think the change is complete except for eliminating redundancy. I don't know for sure, but I don't think Dow has a company store any more. I used to get 4' X 8' X 1" sheets of Styrofoam for just over $3.00 from Dow. Dow Corning closed their company store (for employees), probably 10 or 15 years ago.

73,

Roger (K8RI)