Re: [Amps] "Conventional" current flow

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] "Conventional" current flow
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 17:53:54 -0700
Ahh, we're back on this thread! It's an interesting discussion. Dick's
comments, below, are mostly correct about electrons traveling from a heated
cathode to the anode. However, electrons don't move anywhere near the speed
of light. They start off with thermal kinetic energy from the hot cathode,
probably a few hundred meters per second, and then pick up speed as they're
sucked toward the anode by the plate-cathode potential voltage. Typically
they crash into the plate (depending on the plate voltage) with a speed of
about a million meters per second, which is roughly one percent the speed of
light, which is still pretty fast, and certainly much faster than the
so-called "drift velocity" of the electrons in a copper wire. That's about 1
cm per second, so you can think of the electrons in a metal moving like warm
sludge, just oozing along the length of the wire. That fact alone suggests
that the relationship between electric current and moving charges is more
complicated than one might imagine. For example if you measure a fast pulse,
say 1 nsec duration, on a coax cable, then obviously there's more going on
than slowly moving charges migrating like sludge down the cable.

Now, at the risk of muddying the water further, the picture of electrons as
tiny little particles carrying an electric charge dates from early twentieth
century thinking. In fact, the model of electric current and electrons
moving in, say, a vacuum tube or copper wire, was proposed around 1900 by a
German physicist named Paul Drude (pronounced Drood-eh). (You can google
"Drude Model" to read about it.) Mr. Drude's theory is clever, and sometimes
useful, but it is a result of "classical physics," and, alas, doesn't hold
up to close scrutiny. Electrons are not tiny, hard little balls of charge,
any more than atoms are balls of neutrons and protons with electrons
whirling around them like tiny planets. Unfortunately, that classical
picture, however wrong and inaccurate, is still taught in elementary schools
and high schools, because the real picture is too abstract for young minds
to comprehend.

The description of the electrons in a metal, or anywhere else, is quantum
mechanical. An electron in a block of copper, for instance, is described by
something called a Bloch wave, or Bloch wavefunction (Google it, but be
forewarned: it ain't easy to understand.), and the amazing thing about the
electron is that it isn't localized in the copper block at all. It's
everywhere at once in the copper, and you can't point to a specific position
in the copper and say that the electron is there. This is not just
mathematical abstraction. The electron really is everywhere in the copper at
once. Quantum mechanics isn't just a model theory. It's the way the universe
is assembled. There's probably no theory that has been so extensively tested
and verified, thousands upon thousands of times. Unfortunately, our tiny
brains can't visualize quantum mechanical wavefunctions very well, so we
fall back on classical pictures to guide us, such as the idea that atoms are
like tiny solar systems, or that electrons in a vacuum tube are ejected from
the cathode like BBs and fly through the vacuum until they crash into the
anode. Sorry, but that picture is misleading and wrong, even though we can
easily imagine it.

73,
Jim W8ZR

Residual gas molecules