Re: [Amps] Conventional" current flow

To: "'Richard Solomon'" <dickw1ksz@gmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Conventional" current flow
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 21:12:11 -0700
Good question, Dick. The large potential difference between the anode
(plate) and cathode results in a strong electric field inside the tube. The
lines of electric field start at the plate and end on the cathode. The
electric field exerts an attractive force on the negatively charged
electrons, which basically sucks them into the anode. At any point in the
space inside the tube the force F obeys the equation F = -e E, where -e is
the negative charge on the electron and E is the strength of the electric
field at that point in space. By the way, electric field is measured in
volts per meter, so if the plate voltage is, say 1000V, and the distance
between the plate and cathode is 1 cm = .01meter, then the average electric
field strength is 100,000 Volts/meter. That's actually quite a bit less than
the electric field you get when you walk across carpet in the dry winter and
touch something metal.
73,
Jim W8ZR

Solomon