Re: [Amps] Stock up on tubes?

To: "Richard Solomon" <dickw1ksz@gmail.com>, "amps@contesting.com" <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Stock up on tubes?
From: <w8hw@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 10:44:31 -0500
Every one is talking about Obsolescence of tubes. The problem is the other way around.

The truth of the mater Solid State finals often stop being produced in around 18 months. After that you can get only phony part from China that either does not last, or gives only 60% power or has IMD issues or all three. This is true of 100 watt class through 1500 watt class solid state finals. I have repaired many of amplifiers and radios only to find that the solid state final replacement part is no longer in production even though the unit is still being sold as new from common radio suppliers. If you are able to find a quality replacement, it is not the same size or other issues that require major modification of the boards and circuit modifications. That is a serious issue to consider when selecting an amplifier.

Tubes on the other hand (such as 3-500, 3cx1500xx and others) have been in production 30-40 years with no sign of an end of production in site. If you want to know that you amp can be repaired in the future, then tubes are still the way to go. I love solid state, but I am weary of solid state amplifiers. They can be a delight today, but a throw-a-way tomorrow. A "Dixie cup" amplifier would not be my first choice. Just a thought.

On a related note... USA manufactures are required to offer replacement parts for many years (7 years I think), while other countries (in MOST cases) do not have that requirement. This is another major consideration in amplifier choices. Consider asking the salesperson of the over seas amp... Does that country have a parts mandate and what is it? If the salesperson says "NO" or "Hims and Haws" , then you may wish to pass.

73, Bruce, W8HW