[Amps] The cost of amplifiers, radios

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Amps] The cost of amplifiers, radios
From: Steve Bookout <steve@nr4m.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 18:45:26 -0500
Hello all,

One thing I don't see being considered is how often do you need to replace an amp tube.

Running a multi multi contest station, I have a bunch of amps.

A 35 year old 4-1000 which uses a 'pull' still makes full power.

Another 35 year old amp which is still using the original 8877; full power.

A pair of 4-400's that were pulls when I got them 35 years ago, still do 800-900 out.

A Ten Tec Titan that still has it's original 3cx800s.  Full power.

4 8410's that all have original tubes and full power, but they're only about 5 years old.

A Henry 3k Classic MKII, which was likely the FIRST ONE SOLD with the 3cx1200A7 tube. (When I got it, it had the meter shunt R's for the 8877) Still full power.

In fairness, I did have to replace one 4cx800 due to an open filament, apparently due to moving it.

I have known ops, you probably have also, that have to replace tubes every few years. My question is what are they doing to cause early failure?

All my amps (tubes) might go 'phooey' tomorrow, but so far they have done me well.

I even left a couple out cuz I'm sure you get the point.

73 de Steve, NR4M