Re: [Amps] FCC Denies Expert Linears' Request for Waiver of 15 dB Rule

To: Amps group <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] FCC Denies Expert Linears' Request for Waiver of 15 dB Rule
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 08:12:13 -0600
I think the idea that the commercialization of ham radio is a bad thing is
misguided. Yes, I can -- or in principle should be able to -- make everything
that sits on my operating desk, including SDR radios. But I can't do it as
cheaply as I can buy it, both in time and materials.

The tube-based amps are by far the most amenable to amateur fabrication. Some
examples don't even bother with metal chassis! Solid-state amps are a bit
tougher. But I don't think there's anything intrinsically wrong with making
prefabricated amps available for purchase nor is there anything wrong with
someone making a few bucks off of selling them.

With all that, Paul's observations are spot on. This isn't about money as much
as it's about the ramifications of granting a waiver without changing the
regulatory structure.

Kim N5OP

"People that make music together cannot be enemies, at least as long as the
music lasts." -- Paul Hindemith