Re: [Amps] Coax specs

To: wlfuqu00@uky.edu
Subject: Re: [Amps] Coax specs
From: Shon Edwards <sre.1966@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 08:17:29 -0700
Hi Bill and the list.

I just want to let you know I might ramble a little, but here are some of
my thoughts.  I want to mention first where you can find some cable on the
Internet; the results of a little test I did using this type of large cable
(unfortunately mine is bigger even than this); and a word about velocity
factor.  I hope this isn't going to bore too many of you too much.  I am
just sort of an amateur myself when it comes to radios and radio parts.

I do all my coax shopping over the Internet at a place called "RF Parts" in
Southern California, if I remember correctly.  They do have a $25.00
minimum order, but that isn't usually so difficult once you figure out your
cable length, connectors, etc.  I just did a search for "rg-189 7/8" 50 ohm
coax" once I entered the site and got the following;
https://www.rfparts.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=rg-189+7%2F8%22+50+ohm+coax
 I then did a search for "lmr 900 50 ohm coax" and got quite a few pages of
hits. It may even be the same list of my last last search.  Not sure.  When
I did the second search, I had to click on "p. 4" on my machine at the
bottom of the screen to get to the right area which display the higher end
LMR cables.  I clicked on the LMR 900 DB (direct burial, or weather proof)
at:  https://www.rfparts.com/lmr900db.html.  You have to order this quite a
bit in advance, but I'd rather do it over any other non-weather protected
coax.

I had a project where I was using frequencies around 33 CM and needed a run
from my 900 MHz yagi antenna to the radio.  At such high frequencies, big
cable like this is *extremely* important.  I hooked the yagi up to my radio
using  a 1 M run of LMR 400.  It sounded as clear as a bell.  I had people
located 50 miles away from me, where the repeater is.  No problem.  They
said I didn't even have a trace of "popcorn" (a type of static unique to
those higher frequencies).

That was great, but I didn't want to leave the yagi on the entertainment
center forever, so I take it out through a "pass through" through the
window and get it out to the antenna.  I tried to use only DB because I
would rather it have all the protection it can get over the years against
the elements.  LMR 900 DB was the best type of coax (but most expensive).
I used N connectors, so as not to get as much loss (ni Europe VHF and up
use N connectors).  Anyway, (sorry to make a short response long -- just
wanted to write it all out in case anyone might benefit from what I've done
(or haven't done) right.  I connected a LMR 400 run-off wire from the LMR
900 to the radio to be able to fit it through the pass-through, as well as
to make the coax malleable enough  by the time it got to the radio that it
wouldn't break the connector off every time I moved the radio.  And with
all of these even STILL, I had some popcorn  My run was only around 8 M of
cable and still I was losing a *lot* of signal. .

Using the VF (velocity factor), calculate the proper length of the cable.
This is explained in the Extra ARRL manual, about 2/3 of the way through
the book.  Whenever I've done this, I always get 1:1 SWR or extremely
close, At high frequencies, it makes it even more critical.  You should
check with someone who knows about the subject, if necessary.

I'll show you a piece of my bill here, which I paid to RF Parts.  Note
especially the "large" N connectors to fit onto the large LMR 900 cable.
They're $68 each to buy them and I think it looks like it was $25 per for
labor.  Not having worked with cable that big before, I left it to them to
work out.  Then there was the cable, which was around a little over
$18/meter.  Wow!  Shipping's another 18 and there you have it:  $350 for an
8 M legnth of coax!

ItemSkuQtySubtotal
*LMR900DB 0.870 Dia, Low Loss Coax, Direct Buriel* LMR900DB 24 $142.80
*EZ900NMC-2 Type-N Male Clamp Connector, LMR900DB* EZ900NMC-2 2 $135.90
*LABOR-XLARGE* LABOR-XLARGE 2 $50.00
Subtotal $328.70
Shipping & Handling $18.00
*Grand Total (Excl.Tax)* *$346.70*
Tax $0.00
*Grand Total (Incl.Tax)* *$346.70*

Shon R. Edwards, MA, AG (Czech Republic)
Amateur call:  K6QT
1039 N 2575 W
Layton, UT, 84041-7709
USA