Re: [Amps] FCC Denies Expert Linears' Request for Waiver of 15 dB Rule;

To: Amps group <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] FCC Denies Expert Linears' Request for Waiver of 15 dB Rule;
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 21:51:35 +0000

On Mon, 2 Jan 2017 10:36:41 +0000, G8GSQ wrote:

>For most of the 40odd years I've had my licence, it's given me a
>unique privilege: that of being able to operate a transmitter
>which hasn't been checked, tested or type approved by someone
>else.

REPLY:

This privilege is a double edged sword. About ten years ago I was
operating during a RTTY contest on 40 meters when I noticed a fairly
strong blast of white noise all across the band. The noise came and
went with a rhythm that suggested someone calling CQ. Long story
short, it turned out to be a fellow on the east coast of the US who
was using a homebrew class E amplifier. He would not answer me on the
air so I sent him an email after the contest was over. Never heard him
again.

Such transgressions are rare but they do happen.

73, Bill W6WRT