Re: [Amps] FCC Denies Expert Linears' Request for Waiver of 15 dB Rule

To: Amps Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] FCC Denies Expert Linears' Request for Waiver of 15 dB Rule
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 20:16:04 -0800
Hi Fern,

The best real world test is that the noise level should rise by 8-10 dB when you connect an antenna to the radio. If it doesn't, your ability to receive weak signals is limited by internal noise of the radio. Obviously, this very practical test is location specific. But if you live in a quiet QTH, noise performance of the front end becomes increasingly important.

73, Jim K9YC