Re: [Amps] Decline of homebrewing?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Decline of homebrewing?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2017 00:34:08 -0500
Ham Radio , 73, and older QSTs have some good construction articles. Most newer magazines construction articles, to me, are gadgets, or QRP. I have little to no interest in these. To me, the standard 100W rigs are as low as I'd want to go. The same goes for SS construction. A simpler 100W CW rig with a clean signal would be fine. SSB is nice to have, but used to be, constructing a simple CW rig in emergency cases was all you needed. Today, you might be hard pressed to get an an answer to a CW plea for help.

I would add that the texts listed are good reference, but some may be beyond the average ham.

Home building is becoming a smaller % because most of today's new Hams have neither the knowledge or desire to build. We Hams as a whole have always been cheap. We try to get the cheapest part without concern as to that cheap part's limitations. There are notable exceptions to both, but they are relatively few. That pretty much leaves few options for homebrewing. QRP, amplifiers, and possibly antennas.
I see SSB transmitters without CW capability as being incomplete.

The complex circuits design, sophisticated/specialized parts, and circuit boards put all but the most simple designs beyond most potential (those with the desire) builders. For that matter, the servicing of most rigs requires some expensive, if not specialized test equipment.

I disagree withe the cost reasoning, Money can be saved IF the individual has the ability to search and sort, reasonable swaps within handy driving distance, the ability to recognize the good from junk, AND the time and patience to slowly accumulate parts, then homebrewing can save money (if you don't count your time and few builders do!.)

Starting with 1911 "The Handbook" has had a bit about using surplus parts. No, things are not as plentiful, or cheap as in the 50s, 60s, and 70s when we cold purchase GOOD 813 Tetrodes for $5, (I purchased new Eimac 8877s for $305 but some sources are "relatively" inexpensive compared to new US made. and high power tubes are available at rather inexpensive. E-Bay has Chinese 8877s which are good tubes. Russian tubes are there by the bucket full. Triodes and Tetrodes to 2500 W dissipation and beyond.. There are even glass Pentode, a pair of which can run substantial power without forced air cooling Of course as good tubes with easy application to Ham use tend to quickly increase in price.

Some of these tubes are available through American based distributors, tested, however knowing the tubes are good does cost a premium, but is usually worth the cost.

73,  Roger (K8RI0)