Re: [Amps] Decline of homebrewing?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Decline of homebrewing?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2017 01:33:06 -0500
I mentioned my first project was a pair of 6L6s, that probably had between 500 and 600 volts on the plates. By the time I was building the 6C21 into a pair of 813s, I was working on RF generators, some of which developed over 200 KW. As I was in maintenance they just assumed I knew what I was doing. Back then all the training and safety procedures weren't required.

I would have been as safe building QRO at 15  as I was at 50.
On the farm, I was operating machinery that could snuff you out in a really messy fashion. Equipment that you wouldn't dare let a youngster operate nowdays or the law would pay you a visit. That was normal for farm kids in those days.

So I had learned a healthy respect for anything that hurt including Weed Chopper electric fences. I knew what HV could do, before ever getting near it.

73,  Roger (K8RI)

On 1/7/2017 11:14 AM, Ward Silver wrote:
> Excellent advice, Jim.

Hear, hear!

And another good piece of advice is to make sure you have an ac safety ground connection on every metal enclosure. With 12 Vdc being the normal power supply voltage these days, we can get away with practices that would really be hazardous for tube-based gear.

> A 50 uF capacitor charged to 4000 V holds a potentially deadly 400 Joules of energy

In the defibrillator business of a few years ago, this was known as the "rescue shock" of last resort. This amount of energy can lift a 200-pound person 1.5 feet. When leveraged by muscle-and-bone, much damage can be done.

73, Ward N0AX

---