Re: [Amps] Audio/RF compression

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Audio/RF compression
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 15:05:06 -0800
I agree with Steve -- having retired from a career in pro audio and broadcasting, I know quite a lot about audio processing. Manfred's description is requirements is wildly exaggerated, and Jim Thompson's processing rig is wretched excess. It's the sort of thing I might do in a broadcast station for the mental midgets who do most of the talking, but never for ham radio.

If you're working close to a well-chosen microphone and rolling off the low end, 10 dB of compression is quite good for ham radio. I have a closet full of world class microphones and signal processing gear to to with them. I'm a contester and a DXer, and find that I'm quite competitive with a Yamaha CM500 boom mic headset and that level of processing, all of which is built into my Elecraft K3. Indeed, I even push that to the limits by running QRP in most DX contests!

73, Jim K9YC