Re: [Amps] Audio/RF compression

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Audio/RF compression
From: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 12:54:30 -0600
How about
"Voice Shaper"
https://youtu.be/VpiIqWhXbqk

Joe WB9SBD
Sig
The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme
Idle-Tyme.com
http://www.idle-tyme.com
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 14:41:29 -0900
From: Christopher Brown <cbrown@woods.net>
To: amps@contesting.com

Given that most radios don't have all of this built in, or at least a
poor version the critical question in my mind is...

Is there a good single box to do this on and is there anything available
that is 12VDC nominal powered?

I happen to like and use older Icoms rigs for 2M and up.

But, I absolute _hate_ the APC/ALC setup on these things and how it
functions as a cheap compressor (nasty overshoot and similar issues).

To me it seems like a box with...

Input gain dial

Output driven dial settable AGC/limiter with fast attack 1 second hold
and slow decay.

0-10db soft-knee compressor with dialable level and threshold.

would be very useful...

Set AGC/Limiter to backoff just before APC/ALC circuit kicks in the radio

Dial up 6db compression

Twiddle input gain and compression thresh for best balance.

Better yet if it is a single brick that can run off of DC, I do have AC
powered AMPs in the shack, as well as computer and batt bank charger but
all basic functions are DC only and can run for many hours on air or
days monitoring without firing up the generator.

As tempting as cleaning things up on the 271, 471 and 1271 is, I have
not been able to bring myself to allowing AC powered gear being required
just to transmit.

Chris
WL7CLA

###  http://www.w2ihy.com/8-band-audio-equalizer.html   runs on 7-14 vdc  at
100 ma
Plug and play.   5 v phantom power, works with Y-I-K  with just the flip of a
switch.

###http://www.w2ihy.com/equalizers/eqplus-audio-equalzer.html   runs on 7-14
vdc ar 100 ma.
Also plug and play.  compressor – limiter- downward expander,   5 v phantom
power, limiter etc.

##  used RL Drake  SP-75.... which I think also runs on 12 vdc.   Contains gain
controls, noise gate,
superb RF clipper, and filter, both filters done at 455 khz.

####  http://www.aphex.com/products/channel    This is Aphexs latest version of
their infamous 230
voice processor.  Contains mic pre-amp, compressor, gate,  de-esser, big bottom
processor,  parametric EQ
for the midrange, and aural exciter to enhance the top end.   phantom power,
for mics requiring phantom power,
and also send + receive insert jacks.... to add anything external, like EQ etc.
  This unit takes the best of all their
various products over the years into one single strip.   Also contains phase
reversal, spectral phase refactor..aka
all pass filter.   Basically  does the same as an entire rack of gear.

Jim  VE7RF