Re: [Amps] Audio/RF compression

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Audio/RF compression
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 13:04:39 +0000
Jim,

Why that question? And how much, how and where do you operate?

It puts ones opinions and experience in context. And your response was helpful. Operators opinions of what works and how well, what's important and what's not, are strongly dependent on how we use or radios.

Yes, that's very true. And the interests of different hams can be very different! Sometimes I run into people on the bands who strictly refuse to learn anything technical. Their motto is: "Leave technology to the engineers, that's what they are for! I'm a ham, so I want to talk on the radio. Nothing else!" In my own view, instead, that part of talking on the radio is just the tip of the iceberg, while the whole technical fundament is by far the more interesting part.

The best thing about ham radio is that it allows so many different lines of interest to not only co-exist, but even to collaborate.

I mostly operate contests on the HF bands and 6M -- CW favorite, RTTY next, and SSB. Chase DX a bit, 319 countries confirmed since moving to W6 10 years ago. 165 worked QRP, and I need two states to complete QRP (5W) WAS on 160M. I also operate MS, tropo, and Es on 6M, using JT65, JT9, FSK441, and ISCAT. I do almost no ragchewing.

Indeed that's very different from my own activity. With a few common points, but probably over 90% difference!

> I've been continuously licensed since 1955, Extra in 1959.

That makes me look like a newcomer compared to you, despite my 36+ years in the hobby!

Manfred