Re: [Amps] Maintenance-free

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Maintenance-free
From: Kevin <kstover@ac0h.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 20:03:57 -0600

On 2/27/2017 8:05 AM, Catherine James wrote:
A lot of this comes down to increasing technological complexity.

As a teen-ager and early-twenty-something, I changed the oil in my car.  It was
easy.  You either popped the hood or crawled under the car (depending on the
model), used a tool to break the oil filter loose and unscrew it, replaced the
filter, threw away the old oil, and refilled.
When I was that age I rebuilt the Chevy 396 big block engine in my El Camino SS. It was a mechanical work of art. Wish I hadn't sold that car.

Nowadays, you can't just throw away the oil (we used to just let it drain into
the dirt of the yard!), but have to recycle it; there is far more stuff jammed
into a small area, so it is harder to get your hands in there and remove it;
you often need special tools, as I discovered when I replaced a broken turn
signal switch in the early 90's; and things that used to be simple mechanical
or electrical connections are now mediated by computers or programmable
controllers.  You often need test equipment that the typical home garage
doesn't have and can't justify buying.
I bought a new 92 Olds Cutlass Supreme. It was one of the first cars with an all digital dash and control system. I installed my 2m/70cm FM rig. If I transmitted with 50W on 2m the cruise control would allow the car to speed up as if I had commanded it. Not good. First time I changed the oil I discovered that some "engineer" decided that it was a good idea to hang the oil filter in such a place that you could barely get a filter wrench on it after removing the right front wheel. It was also hung at a 45 degree angle. Try taking that off without dumping the contents on the driveway.

Must have been one of those engineering "whoops, look what we forgot" moments.

After a few hours of fiddling with my SB-220, I am now comfortable working on it and
expect I can keep it running as long as I can get parts.  Reading about these "99
errors" and need to reset microprocessors on more modern amps leaves me cold.  I
have zero interest in trying to do maintenance on something with that level of complexity.

73,
Cathy
N5WVR