Re: [Amps] tarnish or corrosion?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] tarnish or corrosion?
From: Christopher Brown <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 01:11:32 -0800
Google the uses of dielectric paste/grease, this is an approp use.

Paste, not curing solid...Is displaced wherever theere would be actual
metal on metal contact in the connector.

Take for example all those plugs/sockets in a modern auto with a sealing
boot...

Apply a light coating to the inside of the shell, lubes the seal and
improves sealing...Apply a glob to the female contact opening...When you
close the connector, they are close fitting, will be driven all through
displacing air.  Contact will happen as normal, but all "air space" in
the connector will be filled with an insulator.

The only gotcha is when using silicone based dielectric grease you need
to be aware of "water glass"...Current+salt+silicone can form glass...as
can arcing...Not the best thing for relay contacts or open contacts
exposed directly to salt water. (There are non silicone dielectric
greases for that.