[Amps] GS-35B test at low voltage

To: 'Amps' <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] GS-35B test at low voltage
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 23:07:34 -0400
I have never worked with a GS-35B and it has been almost 20 years since I had any triode experience.

I have a VHF amp with a single GS-35B and a home brew bias board taken from the G3SEK triode board manual. Per the test procedure described in the manual, the bias circuit is OK with adjustment range of 27 to 50 volts.

After running filament and blower for 24 hours I wanted to see if everything looked OK with low B+ and run it with some idling current for 24 hours. The only supplies I have are 4000V and 1000V. With 1000V on the amp there was no sign of idling current and bias adjustment range was 12 to 15 volts. I realize this is very low B+ for this tube but I expected to see some sign of life.

I am assuming I have a bad tube. Any other possibilities? Other checks I can or should do?

73, Paul

--
Paul
N1BUG  160m-2m         DXCC Honor Roll