Re: [Amps] GS-35B test at low voltage

To: AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] GS-35B test at low voltage
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 06:39:41 -0400
On 04/25/2017 12:50 AM, Alek Petkovic wrote:
According to the curves, with 1kV on the anode, it only starts
conducting when bias is less than 10V or so. At 0V, she'll run at about
200mA.

Kill the bias and try it.

Aha! Thanks for the wake up call Alek. At 500V with zero bias it is drawing 100 mA and at 1 kV 200 mA. It's alive!

As a follow-up on other comments... I will be running this amp on 4 kV. I had read and been told several times that letting it cook a few hours at 50% HV with some idling current was a good idea during tube prep. I didn't have 50% HV available, so I tried 25% without properly understanding the tube curves.

I will decide what to do from here. I have a 160 kOhm 200W resistor I can put in series with the 4 kV for a few hours as suggested on ND2X.net.

I do have a 0-10kV hipot tester but would like to give the tube every reasonable chance to get gas free before I try that. I'd like to see it pass the first test rather than fail it.

--
Paul
N1BUG  160m-2m         DXCC Honor Roll