Re: [Amps] SWR and amplifiers

To: <amps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SWR and amplifiers
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 15:57:27 -0400
>"If the output stage is broad-band tuned and biased in Class A, it will absorb
>some or all of the reflected wave which may increase heat losses. In this
>case, the reflected wave is not re-reflected and will not show up as an
>increase of the forward reading."

Karl and all...

Does anyone know of a computation that predicts the level of power absorption
in an amplifier (or classic generator) based on operating class and reflection
coefficient?  This is an area of transmission line mechanics that is
universally treated as a footnote rather than a detailed explanation with
mathematics -- possibly because it's in a gray area at the intersection of
amplifier and transmission line theory.

Some of you may recall an ongoing debate on a related matter between Walt
Maxwell and Warren Bruene where each intensely defended their position as to
whether a conjugate match existed in a power amplifier when tuned for maximum
available output level.  Class of amplification entered into that debate and
was acknowledged by both parties, as I recall.  I am more interested in getting
to a number that shows power loss due only to reflected wave absorption in the
exact situation that Karl describes above.

Paul, W9AC

---