Re: [Amps] 3-500Z cool down time

To: Amps group <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500Z cool down time
From: Catherine James <catherine.james@att.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 14:04:07 +0000 (UTC)
Given that ceramic tubes appear to last longer on the shelf with less leakage
than glass, it's a shame that there isn't a ceramic tube in the
price/performance range of the 3-500Z.  It would be well worth paying, say, 10%
more for ceramic.  But the actual cost multiplier is much higher than that, so
glass tubes will continue to rule at the low end (i.e., far below legal limit).

73,
Cathy
N5WVR
Kimberly Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

 True enough; I was simply
 statingthat the 3CX1200 is a ceramic replacement for a glass
 envelope. It's a fine tube, though it requires a fair
 bit more drive. That is, aparently, the price paid for a
 high grid dissipation rating. It's easier to drive when
 running 4 kV B+, though. At that voltage, I never fail to
 acieve full output with a 100 W rig on any band.
 Kim N5OP