Re: [Amps] 3-500Z cool down time

To: "Charlie Young" <weeksmgr@hotmail.com>, "Joe" <nss@mwt.net>, "Catherine James" <catherine.james@att.net>, "Amps group" <amps@contesting.com>, "Kimberly Elmore" <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500Z cool down time
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.qozzy.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 13:25:43 -0400
I suspect that Eimac put a lot more effort into conditioning the tubes back then. Pull a better vacuum and the breakdown voltage increases.

Ive hi-potted some beyond the 13KV capacity of my tester. OTOH youre lucky to get 8KV out of Chinese versions.

Carl

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charlie Young" <weeksmgr@hotmail.com> To: "Joe" <nss@mwt.net>; "Catherine James" <catherine.james@att.net>; "Amps group" <amps@contesting.com>; "Kimberly Elmore" <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 11:36 AM

I have seen some 3-500 tubes affected by long storage and some not.

In 1995 I bought a new matched pair of Eimac 3-500 tubes. The date code on the tubes is 1994. Once in the early 2000’s I tested these tubes and they were OK. Pulled them out and placed them back in storage; I was not running an amp that used them. Fast forward to about 2011 and they were both gassy when put into an AL-82. Arc city. I don’t know if they can be rehabilitated or not by bringing up the HV low and slow and biasing them to conduction so the plates heat up. I have not tried that yet, but plan to do so soon.

On the other hand, I bought an old SB-220 from a CB operator back in the early 1990’s. The Eimac tubes in it have 1973 date codes. This amp was never fired up from 1996 until it was converted to 6 meters in 2010. These tubes are fine, and still make 1400W on 6 meters. No arcing at all even when first fired up.

So, I think it depends on the individual tube.

73 Charlie N8RR