Re: [Amps] Ten-Tec Titan 10 Meter Input SWR

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ten-Tec Titan 10 Meter Input SWR
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2017 09:40:15 -0700
Exactly the right question to ask.

Another point. SWR is established by the match at the RX end of the line, NOT at the TX end. Yes, the line can transform the Z, but the SWR along the line varies only due to loss (it gets smaller).

You want a flat SWR?  Feed the load with a 1,000 ft spool of RG58.

The match at the TX end of the line ONLY affects the ability of the TX to deliver power to it -- the Z the TX sees must be something output stage is happy with, either due to the impedance ratio of the output network or protection of the output stage.

AND -- ANY length of line transforms the impedance. A quarter wave INVERTS the impedance (study a Smith chart to see what that means.) These slides for a talk I did several years ago illustrate that. And the Smith chart software, SimSmith, is a GREAT tool. http://k9yc.com/PacificonSmithChart.pdf

73, Jim K9YC