Re: [Amps] GM3SEK Tetrode and Triode Boards - updates

To: "'Paul Christensen'" <w9ac@arrl.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] GM3SEK Tetrode and Triode Boards - updates
From: "Ian White" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 18:57:27 +0100
Hi Paul

There are several reasons for needing the 748 op-amp and no other:

1. The big one is the need for access to the on-chip gain/frequency
compensation terminals. This greatly reduces the range of possible
alternatives.

2. The circuit uses all of the 30V rail-to-rail supply voltage rating.
(Input voltage range is not a major issue.) This further reduces the
range of alternatives.

3. A different op-amp would have different gain/frequency
characteristics, and would almost certainly require different component
values for the external compensation.

4. The 748 was an industry-wide standard for about 40 years and was
manufactured in countless millions (some of which are still around). But
a different modern replacement would be quite a niche product, with
attendant risks of disappearing from the market.

5. Product support is very important. My ability to provide online
troubleshooting depends heavily on a lot of accumulated experience, so I
have a strong incentive to keep the circuit exactly the same.

For all of those reasons, I'd rather put my efforts into sourcing
further supplies of the device that we already know. I have good stocks
at the moment, and several lines on alternative suppliers.

73 from Ian GM3SEK

Electronics