Re: [Amps] Pole pigs removed from oil ??

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Pole pigs removed from oil ??
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2017 00:11:48 -0500
That was a good read. My first paying job
other than selling night crawlers along
the side of the road was working at the
neighbor's farm diagonal to us when I was
11. My friend Bill (all of 10) & I used to
do it all including running the tractor,
bailing hay, running silage, shovelling
cow crap, getting them milked and out to
pasture before school and well, 100% of
everything for all of $1 a day. Good money
when my weekly allowance was 50 cents.
Bill bought a 50CC Yamaha with his
earnings. Mine went to comic books &
Mallow Cups...

Many years pass, I'm going to Chiropractic
College in MO & the YL & I look out our
window maybe 3 weeks after arriving to see
people in Hazmat suits in the front lawn
digging cores. Turns out a genius named
Russell Bliss had been dumping Dioxin oil
on the roads in this little dead end
community of Ballwin, MO called
Castlewood. IIRC it was also he who was
doing the same across the Merrimac river
in a town called Times Beach. That town
was closed, nobody was allowed back in to
get their belongings and it became a major
superfund site. Of course the river
flooded like it always does and most of
the surface Dioxin went down the Merrimac
to the Mississippi & landed in the once
safely fertile LA Delta.

I remember talking with the locals who
said they'd oil the dirt roads for years
with this stuff and the kids always came
in from playing covered in road dust &
oil.

As bad as all that is, I haven't heard of
anyone in that town growing an extra leg
and while the effects of Dioxin are
documented well & PCB's, I suspect there
is more concern over the remote
possibility of problems than the
probability of problems.

If PCB's were as dangerous as the EPA
feels, then there's a whole lot of Old
hams & electrical workers living today
that wouldn't be here any more.

Just my guess that minor exposures aren't
going to hurt you. Make a cocktail ever
night of the stuff & probably so.

73,

Gary