Re: [Amps] Amplifier for 630 meter band

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amplifier for 630 meter band
From: Catherine James <catherine.james@att.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 17:35:54 +0000 (UTC)
"U may well have a tough time  stuffing parts into a SB-200 chassis.  This is
where a simple, bigger box would help out.  Something like a  single  3-400Z /
3-500Z would do the trick, dead simple.  Then u could also stuff a 4-400 A / B
/C in there as well."

Yes, it may make sense to pull some of the larger tuning and LP filtering
components into a separate case, outside the SB-200 case.  One nice thing about
VLF is that tolerances are very loose for things like lead lengths.  Just be
sure that wires carrying high voltages are very well insulated.

I'm certainly open to having a second case with the additional filtering
components. That second case won't have a power supply or tubes needing
cooling, which simplifies things greatly.

I'm not dead set on starting with an SB-200 by any means. If a junk 3-500Z or
4-400 amp drops into my lap, I could just as readily run with that. I will
check out NEARFEST on the spring and see what turns up.

If anyone in New England reads this and thinks they may have a suitable amp for
sale (no tubes is fine, burned bandswitch is fine, power supply must be good,
price must reflect condition; looking for a low-priced junker amp for extensive
modifications), please reach out to me directly.

73,
Cathy
N5WVR
<n5wvr@arrl.net>