Re: [Amps] Glitch resistor + fuse?

To: jimw7ry@gmail.com, jim.thom@telus.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Glitch resistor + fuse?
From: gudguyham--- via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 08:57:41 -0500
I doubt that.  I want to emphasize that the " special "  resistor we are
speaking of is NOT a garden variety carbon composition resistor.  It doesn't
necessarily explode but it will crack and break in pieces.  It has the ability
to take a surge and once it dampens the surge it may open depending on the
severity of the surge.  Obviously it is meant to be sacrificial like a fuse is.
 Drake used it in the L4/7 power supply B+ and Heathkit used it in the B- and
doubled as the grid shunt resistor.  For the class and B+ voltages in these
amps, this special resistor is sufficient protection. Many add additional
gizmos as well but I believe this resistor will be the one that handles the job
if left in circuit.  Larger amps need additional protection once B+ goes much
over what these amps  have.  Unknowing hams who don't realize that Heath used
this special resistor as the grid shunt needlessly add additional gizmos.
Bottom line is they don't hurt but this grid shunt resistor/fuse wi
 ll probably be the limiting factor anyway which eliminates the need of
anything else.  It's too late to undo all the fallacies created by the Internet.

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail