Re: [Amps] Glitch resistor + fuse?

To: "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Glitch resistor + fuse?
From: "Jim W7RY" <jimw7ry@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 06:05:16 -0600
I've never had a wire wound glitch resistor "fail" during normal operation.

10 watt or 25 watt, HV or 120/240 VAC.

73
Jim W7RY

-----Original Message----- From: John Lyles Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2017 12:40 AM To: amps@contesting.com Subject: [Amps] Glitch resistor + fuse? Maybe someone already covered this, but I stay away from using wirewound resistors for series energy limiters in tube power amplifiers. For one thing, when you are dumping 50 amps or more for a few uS, the magnetic field can cause the winding to fail. 10 ohm Kanthal Globar bulk carbon resistors are great for high peak power, in this application. You can find leaded ones, clip in ones, and other shapes. They are rated for very large voltage across them, momentarily, and have a high temperature rating. However, you have to pick the right one (AS or SP type) for the average DC current's power dissipation.

John
K5PRO