Re: [Amps] MFJ products

To: "'amps@contesting.com'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] MFJ products
From: Jim Garland <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 07:59:36 -0700
I believe Manfred is exactly right. Linear power supplies tend to be less trouble-prone than switchers, but when they do fail, their failure mode can dump a significant overvoltage on their load. Fortunately, an inexpensive crowbar overvoltage circuit solves that problem. For me, I always prefer to use linear power supplies because they last longer and never  cause RFI problems, which switchers are prone to. On the other hand, the switchers are lighter and significantly more efficient than their linear counterparts, and cheaper too, so ultimately the decision which to use comes down to personal preference.

73,

Jim W8ZR