Re: [Amps] MFJ products

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] MFJ products
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2017 17:17:07 +0000
Shon, Jim, and all,

with correctly designed switching power supplies there is a MUCH lower risk to get an overvoltage at the output, than with linear supplies.

In a linear supply, the most common failure is one of the pass transistors shorting out, and this results in the full unregulated voltage appearing on the output. If there is overvoltage protection included, fine, it will blow a fuse - but if not, the radios connected are at severe risk.

In a switching power supply, instead, the failure of ANY of the power devices, in ANY way (short or open), will always result in the voltage going down, not up. This makes switchers much safer than linear supplies ever can be.

In both types of power supply the voltage can go up if the control circuitry fails, but since that's low power circuitry, it's easy to make very reliable. Not all manufacturers do, though.

No matter how low I switched the DC Adjust dial (9-15 V), it just
> pegged itself it seemed even a bit higher than the max.

That smells like a potentiometer failure, along with poor design. Potentiometers are notorious for failing with the wiper becoming open-circuited. Depending on the circuit design, an open wiper in the voltage setting potentiometer will result in either the voltage going down, or up, or becoming undefined. I always make a point of designing my circuits in such a way that an open potentiometer wiper will result in the safest possible situation, and in a power supply that is: Voltage going down.

I invite the electronically savvy among you to check the different power supply designs on my website, and analyze what will happen if the wiper of the potentiometers (trimpots in these cases) becomes disconnected. And I encourage manufacturers and homebrewers reading this to do like I do, and always consider the consequences of potentiometer failure in their designs. Not just in power supplies, but everything else too.

Manfred