[Amps] Fasteners in tank circuits

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Fasteners in tank circuits
From: Conrad PA5Y <g0ruz@g0ruz.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 13:22:52 +0000
Some time ago I made a 8877 amplifier for 6m. It was a little low on efficiency, it turned out that you cannot use brake pipe as it contains nickle.

Ever since then I have used soft copper or silver plated copper and brass in my VHF amplifiers and I have used brass fasteners throughout. In my latest 3CX800 6m amp which goes live this weekend I have fabricated my own tune C from some pieces of aluminium and a few parts stolen from another capacitor. Need I worry about the brass screws used to fasten the copper strap to these aluminium plates? It will be bone dry in the anode compartment so I am hoping that corrosion cannot occur as there will be no electrolyte. I could coat the fasteners in some nice HV varnish that I have to keep any air out if anyone thinks that it is necessary.

Comments?

Regards

Conrad PA5Y