Re: [Amps] Pure signal vs AMPs idle curent

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Pure signal vs AMPs idle curent
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 16:27:27 +0000
Jim,

For those of you folks that have pre-distortion capabilities, like the ANAN xcvrs... and use an external tube linear amp. Has anyone tried measuring the IMD results with pure signal turned on....and also varying the bias and idle current of a tube amp, like a GG triode ??

I haven't done it with a tube, but I have experimented this with solid
state amps. I don't think the results would be fundamentally different with tubes, but some differences caused more by the external circuitry than by the active device will probably show up.

PureSignal will keep the close-in intermod products, inside its correction bandwidth of roughly 40kHz, nicely down while you reduce the idling current, up to the point where you reduce it so much that that the amp has _no_ gain for the smallest signals (biased into cutoff). At that point PureSignal goes crazy, and the IMD shoots through the roof. It cannot deal with class C amplifiers yet, not even with pure class B. But it might, soon.

At the same time the IMD outside PureSignal's correction bandwidth goes
up unhindered, as you reduce the bias, and is worse than without PS. As you reduce idling current, this IMD typically becomes excessive before the point where PS goes crazy.

So you cannot go too far in reducing idling current, certainly not all
the way to cutoff, but you can get pretty close while maintaining an IMD
better than what a good class AB amp with high idling current and no predistortion can provide.

Typical numbers for my solid-state test amplifier could be roughly like these, and I hope the format of this table comes through:

        ----- no PS -----       ---- with PS ----
Ibias   IMD3    high IMDs       IMD3    high IMDs
2A      -28dB   -60dB           -60dB   -58dB
1A      -25dB   -55dB           -60dB   -53dB
0.5A    -20dB   -50dB           -60dB   -48dB
0.2A    -14dB   -45dB           -58dB   -38dB

In this table, "high IMDs" means the ones that fall outside of, but close to, the correction bandwidth of PS. Those are the most objectionable. I filled the table with typical values from memory, from when I made the tests some months ago, rather than with actual test data, which varies by band, drive level, etc. It shows the main trend.

Another thing I would like to mention in this context is that the reduction of IMD inside the correction bandwidth that you can achieve with the current version of PureSignal depends relatively little on the bias and on the drive level, as PS even corrects for considerable overdrive, but depends hugely on amplifier memory effects. The current PS algorhythm cannot correct for memory effects.

In conventional amplifiers the distortion coming from memory effects is usually swamped by distortion coming from small-signal nonlinearity (bias-related) and large-signal nonlinearity (saturation-related). But when you use PS to remove distortion coming from these two main causes, the previously hidden distortion from memory effects becomes dominating.

"Memory effects" refers to the case when the characteristics of an amplifier change according to what it was doing a moment ago. The main cause of memory effects is unstable supply voltages (main supply and bias). For lowest memory effects it's essential that all supply voltages be tightly regulated (rarely the case with tube amps). An electrolytic capacitor filtering the supply at the amplifier, with some inductance and resistance between that and the regulated supply, causes terrible memory effects! Because it generates a time-lagged voltage drop. Either the capacitor must be so large that the voltage on it remains highly constant over the whole envelope of the signal (hardly feasible in a big amplifier), or it should be removed. Small (ceramic) caps are enough to bypass RF currents, and the time constant they form with any resistance or inductance in the supply wiring is of negligible length.

Memory effects can also rise from temperature fluctuations inside semiconductors. I wouldn't expect this to be a problem with tubes, but at the same time I would expect bad memory effects with tube amplifiers coming from their typically unregulated plate supplies.

So, Jim, if you try driving a tube amp with your ANAN and you find that PS doesn't cause a dramatic improvement in IMD inside its correction bandwidth, you should suspect memory effects from unwanted supply voltage modulation as the main cause. And the bias should be adjusted to keep the IMD outside PS's correction bandwidth small enough. What exactly is "small enough" of course depends on how far the closest fellow ham is located, how good a ham neighbor you want tobe, and how likely that other ham is to come over with a shotgun!

Manfred