[Amps] Shipping a heavy HV Transformer

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Shipping a heavy HV Transformer
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 08:38:34 -0800
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 18:05:46 -0600
From: Ed Stallman <ed.n5dg@gmail.com>
To: amps@contesting.com

<I'm selling a HV Transformer? and have questions on the best way to
<pack. The transformer weighs 85LBs and is approximately a 12 inch cube .
<At this time I have it bolted to a 5/8 inch plywood pallet.

<I know Alpha and Acom ship their transformers in a heavy duty cardboard
<box . I'm not sure where to find a heave duty box ?? I could use 3/8 or
<7/16 plywood plus wood screws to build a nice strong box? but I'm
<thinking UPS or Fedex wants it to be in a cardboard box ?

<Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated

<Ed N5DG

##  My 46 lb dahl was  bolted to 7 /16 plywood.   My 253 lb dahl came on a
small wooden pallet.  Wooden pallet covered with 1/2 plywood.   Then 4
x wooden vertical sides, each  made from 3 /8 plywood.    Sides attached with
long U shaped nail gun  setup.  2 x 2s vert, in each corner.
Removeable top made from  3 /8 plywood.   IE  custom made crate.

##  after the top was unscrewed using a cordless screwdriver,  no way to lift
the
253 lb xfmr out of the box !   The vert sides and top were built around the
xfmr.
So plan B was...once top was removed, the sides were removed.  Had a helluva
time getting the vert sides off, with the myriad of  U nails.   Once the vert
sided were
removed,  it turns out the base of the xfmr was 1/16 higher than the re-
enforced base
of my 19 inch rack.   So slid it across  from pallet to rack, then dropped in
the 4 x bolts
through the  4 x pre-drilled holes.

##  My  10 kva  hypersil pole pig was aprx  12 inch cubed and weighed 120
lbs..removed
from oil.  It was mounted to 3/4 plywood, then xfmr wrapped in expandable
shipping foam, then into a
small wooden crate.

##  I would not rely on cardboard alone, even double thickness stuff.... unless
the expandable   shipping
foam also used.

Jim   VE7RF