Re: [Amps] Shipping a heavy HV Transformer

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Shipping a heavy HV Transformer
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 14:44:29 -0700
The procedure that David Craig, N3DB, is the extreme but probably best way. For 85 lbs, a plywood box with framing, or even strapping onto a pallet and shipping motor freight are reasonable ways.

I have shipped some 25-40 lb HV, filament, chokes and modulation transformers in the past this way with success: 1) Find boxes that are thick wall cardboard, (look up ULINE for instance) and that are sized so that one is about inch or two thicker than the other. 2) Mount the iron with bolts on a plywood rectangle that fits the bottom of the smaller box. Counterbore the holes so bolts don't stick out. 3) Put pieces of hard foamed insulation board (from Lowes, get 1 1/2 inch thick if that is available) over the terminal studs, cut small holes for the threads to go into the foamed board. 4) Put one sheet of the foamed insulation in the bottom of the box, cover the entire dimension.
5) Place the transformer on plywood down into this box.
6) Shove insulation board sheets around all four sides, and one flat piece on top, and tape the box shut with heavy shipping tape. There should be no movement of the transformer in this box if it is tipped or shaken. 7) Cut insulation boards to put around all 6 sides of this box, as it is inserted into the large box. Mark THIS SIDE UP arrows. This extra level of protection prevents things from sticking through the box and ruining the transformer insulation.
8) Seal, insure and ship.
9) Pray that UPS, FEDEX, DHL, USPS don't throw this box.

I have a large collection of audio, HV, filament, modulation and chokes that come from commercial HF, Broadcast rigs,local surplus store (before it closed) and from at least three old timers who became SK. Give me a shout with your requirements, I might have something to fit the bill. I am not getting any younger and I only keep this stuff in my shed to prevent the loss of these still valuable components for amplifier and transmitter builders. As more of the tube builders disappear, this iron is basically boat anchors. Someday I may post a listing. Shipping big iron is a real PITA!

73
John Lyles
K5PRO