Re: [Amps] Alpha 77D anode choke swap?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 77D anode choke swap?
From: Martin Sole <hs0zed@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 17:00:47 +0700
Bill,

You comment about the unconnected turns got me thinking and Jim commented on this as well.

So I wrapped 3 turns of insulated solid wire, taken from some CAT5 twisting the ends together so it's just a shorted but otherwise unconnected coil wound over the top of the plate rf choke.

Testing with the W8JI light bulb method showed an initial bulb brightness peak (no gimmick coil) around 25Mhz, likely fireworks for 12m indeed. I tried a 4 turn coil first and it moved the resonance up to 27.5Mhz, I thought that a bit close to 10m so I removed one of the turns making it a 3 turn shorted coil. Resonance peak, maximum bulb brightness, is now around 26.5Mhz. Is this the magic sauce?

What am I missing? Is there going to be sufficient heat in the choke to melt the pvc insulation causing an almighty mess and associated fireworks?

Martin, HS0ZED