Re: [Amps] Alpha 77D anode choke swap?

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 77D anode choke swap?
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 08:05:46 -0500
>50 uh will also work just fine on  80-10m.  A buddy uses a 50 uh choke on his
>hb  YC-156, which is a 80-10m amp.

I have doubts about 50 microhenries being adequate for 80 m.  Well, it
might be okay if you used a tremendous amount of bypass capacitance
but I'd prefer more inductance, less capacitance.   A couple
questions:  How much bypass capacitance does your buddy use, and how
much RF voltage is he willing to subject his power supply to?   I'm
assuming his filter is a bank of electrolytic caps.

The best way to not have to sweat the h.v. power supply plate choke is
to use a balanced output network with the choke in series with the
center of the output network coil where the RF v. is already low.

73

Rob
K5UJ