Re: [Amps] Alpha 87a No RS-232

To: "'Gerry Hull'" <gerry@w1ve.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 87a No RS-232
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2018 13:42:50 -0400
Hi Gerry,

I don't know if this will help, but RS-232 in my 87A stopped working after a
lightning surge. The amp was otherwise fully functional. Like you, I operate
the amp remotely (though not as far away -- it just in a closet in the
basement.)

In my case, the lightning event destroyed a lot of equipment, so the cause was
obvious. The surge came in on the SteppIR control cables, destroyed their
driver boards, and travelled to the computer over their RS-232 connections,
frying the computer, then propagated to every device connected to the computer
via RS-232, including the 87A and an Acom 2000a. I believe back then I used a
multi-port RS-232 card, not the USB-to-RS232 hubs I use now. Not clear whether
the hubs would have saved the devices. I did have an FT-1000D that was saved by
an external level converter, so perhaps the hubs would have done the same.

In most of my equipment, the typical failure mode was a fried MAX232 chip. But
in more than half the cases the surge propagated through the MAX232 on a TTL
line connected to the CPU, destroying it as well.

I replaced the MAX232 chip in the 87A, plus all the other support chips on the
control board (just in case). But that didn't fix the problem. It turned out
that the surge had indeed travelled to the CPU, but didn't destroy it because
all the I/O ports are fused. Thus, only the TTL serial I/O pin was
non-functional. The CPUs in the rest of my equipment didn't have this
high-class feature, including the 2000A, the CPU of which was completely fried.

Unfortunately, I needed the RS-232 function and it isn't easy to replace the
CPU because each one is individually calibrated to its amp at the factory,
setting such things as the stepper motor positions and fault detection
voltages. My 87A is one of the older ones, circa 1995. Alpha downloaded the
calibration parameters for all the amps made back then, but later the computer
or hard drive where they were stored was lost or destroyed, and they lost all
the data for all the amps, including mine. I don't know if parameters for later
amps were saved. Not long ago someone posted a neat procedure for capturing the
parameters to a file, which I have used to insure against a future CPU failure.
Without those parameters, the amp has to go back to the factory. I had it done
at an "Alpha Day" in Bedford, NH that K1RX had very fortunately (for me)
arranged for YCCC members, and was able to skip shipping the amp to Colorado. I
was able to wait while Brad fixed my amp. I can't recall all t
 hat he did, but I believe the procedure involved some special equipment and
about a half hour to an hour to perform. [N.B. I was also able to drive the
2000a to Krassy's factory and wait while it was repaired, but that's another
story.]

Given that both 87As can't talk, I'd speculate that you had a lightning surge,
but the question is why it didn't affect any other equipment connected to the
computer, of which I imagine there's a lot in a remote station. Have you
checked everything else? I'd be interested in hearing more about your
investigation into that.

Hope this helps.

73, Dick WC1M